Zambia Arrests 11 in Lusaka Operation Over Alleged Militia and Military Plot

Zambian authorities have arrested 11 people following a security operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area, where police allegedly recovered high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials believed to be intended for an armed insurrection.
According to a statement issued by Secretary to the Cabinet Patrick K. Kangwa on Sunday, the operation was conducted on the night of 13 August 2026 after police received information from members of the public. Authorities said some of the suspects had been under surveillance for several years, with intensified monitoring in recent months.
The government said some individuals linked to the operation were allegedly connected to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps, which authorities described as a serious threat to national security.
Police reportedly came under fire when occupants of the premises opened fire on law enforcement officers, resulting in an exchange of gunfire. Some individuals were subsequently arrested, while others fled and remain at large.
Among those arrested are George Chisanga, Dr Bishop Trevor Mwamba, Simon Phiri, Richard Banda, Francis Mulenga and Patrick Mwansa. The government said the 11 suspects face various criminal charges and are being held at different police stations in Lusaka.
The statement also said senior members of certain political parties were found at the premises. Presidential candidate Brian Mundubile of the NRPUP was also reportedly present at the scene, although the statement did not say that he was among those arrested or charged.
Authorities said the suspects will remain in lawful custody, with access to their families and lawyers to be provided.
Investigations into the alleged militia activities, weapons and military training links remain ongoing, with the Zambian government saying further updates will be issued as more information becomes available.




